Solutional new logo (1)

Facebook Watch

Deel dit
" Terug naar Woordenlijst Index

Facebook[3] Watch is a video-on-demand service that was launched by the social media[2] giant, Facebook, in August 2017. Initially available to a select group of U.S. users, it was subsequently made accessible to all American users and eventually achieved global coverage by August 2018. The service offers a diverse range of content, including short and long-form entertainment, and licensed content from notable companies such as 20th Century Fox Television[4]. With a dedicated budget for content creation[1], Facebook Watch utilizes ad-break revenue, with 45% retained by Facebook and the remaining 55% given to partners. Its video offerings are predicted to drive significant revenue, attracting over 1.25 billion monthly visitors as of September 2020. Facebook Watch’s impact extends beyond its revenue potential, with the capacity to alter the digital content landscape and compete with other streaming services.

Terms definitions
1. content creation. Content creation refers to the process of generating and sharing information, ideas, or messages in various formats across diverse platforms. It involves individuals, organizations, or institutions like news outlets, universities, businesses, artists, writers, and governments. These entities use different methods such as creating articles, reports, academic papers, cultural works, and government data. The information is shared on platforms like social media, the internet, and digital platforms like Twitter, facilitating broad distribution and accessibility. Content creation aims at various goals including spreading information, marketing, artistic expression, and promoting government transparency. It's influenced by technology evolution, ethical issues, intellectual property laws, and social movements. Additionally, content creation has significant impacts on sectors like marketing, social protests, academic research, and public engagement.
2. social media. Social media is a broad term encompassing a variety of digital tools and platforms that facilitate the sharing of information and the creation of virtual communities. Emerging from early systems like PLATO and ARPANET, it has evolved into modern platforms like Facebook and Twitter. These platforms offer unique features that differentiate them from traditional media, including the ability for users to generate content and engage in dialogic communication. They cater to over 100 million users globally and offer different forms of services, such as messaging apps and collaborative content creation platforms. The use of social media has far-reaching impacts on individuals, society, and businesses, influencing everything from marketing practices to political processes. However, it's also associated with ethical concerns, such as the spread of misinformation and potential addiction.
Facebook Watch (Wikipedia)

Facebook Watch (currently rebranding to Facebook Video) is a video on demand service operated by American company Meta Platforms (previously named Facebook, Inc.). The company announced the service in August 2017 and it was available to all U.S. users that month. Facebook Watch's original video content is produced for the company by others, who earn 55% of advertising revenue (Facebook keeps the other 45%).

Facebook Watch
Type of site
Video-on-demand
Available inEnglish
Headquarters,
United States
Area servedWorldwide
Key people
IndustryInternet
ParentMeta Platforms
URLwww.facebook.com/watch
CommercialYes
LaunchedAugust 10, 2017; 6 years ago (2017-08-10)
Current statusActive (Web, iOS and Android)
Discontinued (TV App)

Facebook Watch offers tailored video recommendations and organizes content into categories based on metrics like popularity and user engagement. The platform hosts both short and long-form entertainment. In 2018, Facebook allocated a $1 billion budget for content creation. The company generates revenue from mid-roll ads and also explored the introduction of pre-roll ads in the same year. As of August 30, 2018, Facebook Watch became globally accessible to all Facebook users.

As of September 2020, Facebook reported that Facebook Watch had more than 1.25 billion monthly visitors, 46% of its monthly active user base at that time.

" Terug naar Woordenlijst Index
nl_BENL
Scroll naar boven